A car accident can be a very vexing experience. You may have to deal with other drivers and damage to your vehicle. You could have to meet the costs of insurance, medical bills, and lost wages. You could be very concerned as to your rights and liabilities, especially if the accident was not your fault. One of the best things you could do at this juncture is to hire the services of a car accident lawyer, who will protect your legal rights and help you reach a settlement that covers your damages. This article will guide you in reaching out to an attorney and show how they can help you with your case.
When Should You Contact a Car Accident Lawyer?
You should hire a car accident lawyer as soon as possible after an accident has occurred. The counterparty may agree to an out-of-court settlement initially, but later go back on their word and even avoid or refuse to deal with you.
7 Benefits of Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer
Hiring a car accident lawyer will give you a host of benefits, of which 7 are mentioned below.
- They can help you with claiming accident insurance. If you are dealing with an insurance company, you have to file a claim within 30 days of the accident. Insurance adjusters are experts in employing delay tactics so that you are pressured into hurried negotiations and accepting the least possible amount in settlement of the insurance claim. In some cases, you may get nothing. However, an experienced car accident lawyer knows how to negotiate with insurance companies and will help you get a good settlement.
- They can help you determine whether you can file a case. If you run into difficulties and have to file a case in a Court of Law, they can help you gather the evidence that is necessary to submit to the courts. They will also advise you about the Statute of Limitations in regards to filing a case. This is usually 2 years but can vary depending on the State.
- They can help you in proving your Injuries. To get compensated, you have to prove that you sustained injuries from the accident. Your lawyer will help you gather evidence to build a strong case for your compensation. They will collect police reports, interview witnesses, and reconstruct the accident scene to prove your case.
- They can help in determining the value of your claim. Calculating the amount of the claim can be difficult if you are not experienced in these matters. You can end up with a figure that is too high or too low. It includes not only medical expenses and lost wages but also the cost of physical and emotional distress.
- They can help you in negotiating for settlement. Negotiating effectively with the insurance company and the party at fault will help you get a good settlement. The car accident attorney understands the circumstances of your case and will help negotiate a good settlement.
- They can help represent you in a lawsuit. If the matter is not settled out of court, it can proceed to a lawsuit. You will be more self-assured knowing that the car accident attorney is filing the legal papers and handling the court proceedings before the insurance attorneys or the jury in a lawsuit trial. Always pick an attorney who has Court trial experience in the event the case goes to trial.
- They can help prevent you from damaging your case. The insurance company may ask you for a recorded or written statement regarding your case. If you disclose the wrong details, the insurance company can use this against you to avoid paying for damages.
For the Best Outcome, Consult a Professional
Hiring a car accident lawyer is always a good move after an accident. If you anticipate difficulties with your claim for compensation, consider scheduling a free consultation with a trusted car accident attorney in Orange County.