According to Carew Garcia Bohuslav Law, PLLC, “[In 2021] one person was injured every 2 minutes and 12 seconds in motor vehicle accidents across the state [of Texas].” Dallas is currently ranked the city the third most dangerous city for driving in Texas. Road safety is a critical issue in Dallas as the city continues to develop and attract more people. With a rise in population, so too have the rate of car accidents. In this article, will look at recent car accident data and highlight the most dangerous roads in Dallas.
Dallas Car Accident Statistics in 2021
These 2021 crash data statistics are reported based on findings from the Texas Department of Transportation:
- In 2021, 35,355 car accidents were reported in the city of Dallas
- Of these car accidents reported, 1,075 accidents were suspected to be serious crashes
- 61,492 people involved in crashes were reported not to have suffered an injury
- 9,639 possible injuries were speculated to have occurred
- 206 crashes were fatal, and 227 people lost their lives due to an accident
By analyzing these numbers, we find that 97 car accidents occurred daily on average, and 3% of the reported crashes were considered serious. The reported Dallas population in 2021 was 1.288 million, meaning 1 in 33 citizens of Dallas were involved in an accident last year.
In the previous year, 32,022 crashes occurred in Dallas. That means there was an increase of over 10% in accidents from 2020. With new technology and distractions on the rise, we can understand the importance of being a cautious driver. It’s valuable to know what could be contributing to the rise in accidents, so let’s take a look at where the majority of accidents occur and learn the common causes of fatal accidents.
Most Dangerous Roads in Dallas
A study conducted by MoneyGeek compiled crash data in Texas over three years (2017-2019). It found that three of the top ten deadliest roads were located in Dallas:
- Stemmons Freeway (I-35E) between the I-30 Interchange and Exit 434 was the #1 most dangerous stretch of road in Texas with 20 fatal accidents between 2017-2019
- Marvin D Love Freeway between Camp Wilson Road and Illinois Avenue was the second most dangerous road, with 15 fatalities
- The Texas 12 Loop between South Lancaster Road and Longacre Lane was ranked #5, having 12 fatalities. However, the entire Texas 12 Loop had the highest occurrence of fatal crashes in Dallas over this period–42 people lost their lives due to accidents.
Common problems associated with these roads include merging, speeding, and distracted driving. In addition, alcohol and drug use can lead to serious consequences.
What Factors Affect Road Safety?
The top causes of accidents in Texas from the previously mentioned study were as follows:
- Driving under the influence, which led to 25% of fatal crashes
- Distracted driving such as texting while driving
- Weather-related conditions such as snow, ice and fog led to 10% of fatal crashes
It’s crucial to be cautious and act defensively while driving. Take precautions when driving in dangerous conditions and avoid distracted driving. Know what to do if you are injured in a car accident, such as calling the police and contacting a car accident lawyer in Dallas. You might be eligible for compensation to cover your medical bills.